The admission process for international undergraduate students at the University of Hong Kong (HKU) is as follows:
- Apply online. Applications must be submitted through HKU’s online application system. The deadline for applications is August 24, 2023.
- Submit required documents. In addition to the online application form, applicants must submit the following documents:
- Official academic transcripts from all secondary schools or high schools attended
- Proof of English language proficiency (e.g., IELTS, TOEFL, or Duolingo)
- A personal statement
- Two letters of recommendation
- Interview. Some applicants may be invited to an interview. Interviews are typically conducted in person, but may also be conducted via Skype or Zoom.
- Decision. Decisions will be made on a rolling basis. Applicants will be notified of their decision by email.
The University of Hong Kong is a highly selective university, and admission standards are very high. Applicants are typically expected to have a strong academic record, excellent English language skills, and a strong personal statement.
Here are some additional tips for applying to HKU as an international undergraduate student:
- Start planning early. The application process for HKU can be quite complex, so it is important to start planning early. The deadline for applications is August 24, 2023, so you should allow plenty of time to gather all of the required documents and prepare your application.
- Get good grades. HKU is a very competitive university, so it is important to have a strong academic record. Aim for at least a 90% average in your final year of high school.
- Take the IELTS or TOEFL. HKU requires all applicants to demonstrate proficiency in English. The minimum required score for the IELTS is 6.5, and the minimum required score for the TOEFL is 93.
- Write a strong personal statement. The personal statement is your chance to tell HKU why you want to study there. Be sure to highlight your academic achievements, extracurricular activities, and personal qualities.
- Get letters of recommendation from teachers or professors who know you well. Letters of recommendation are an important part of the application process. Be sure to ask teachers or professors who know you well and who can speak to your academic abilities and potential.
I hope this information is helpful. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact HKU’s admissions office. And of course, our Hong Kong counselors are always there to support you!