The Common App is a standardized application form that can be used to apply to over 900 colleges and universities in the United States. It is a convenient and efficient way to apply to multiple schools, and it can save you time and money.
The Common App process for international undergraduate students is similar to the process for domestic students. However, there are a few additional requirements that international students must meet.
Requirements for international students
- Transcripts: You will need to submit official transcripts from your high school or college. These transcripts must be translated into English if they are not already in English.
- Test scores: You will need to submit standardized test scores, such as the SAT or ACT. Some schools may also require TOEFL or IELTS scores.
- Letters of recommendation: You will need to submit two letters of recommendation from teachers, counselors, or other professionals who know you well.
- Personal statement: You will need to write a personal statement that tells the admissions committee about yourself and your reasons for wanting to attend college in the United States.
- Financial aid: If you need financial aid, you will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Common App process
The Common App process is simple and straightforward. You can start your application online at the Common App website.
- Create an account: You will need to create an account and provide some basic information, such as your name, date of birth, and email address.
- Choose schools: You can choose up to 20 schools to apply to.
- Complete the application: The application includes the following sections:
- Personal information: This section includes your name, date of birth, contact information, and citizenship status.
- Academics: This section includes your high school or college transcripts, test scores, and letters of recommendation.
- Activities and awards: This section includes information about your extracurricular activities, awards, and honors.
- Personal statement: This is your chance to tell the admissions committee about yourself and your reasons for wanting to attend college in the United States.
- Writing supplements: Some schools may require additional writing supplements, such as an essay about your intended major or a creative writing sample.
- Pay the application fee: The application fee is $75 for domestic students and $125 for international students.
- Submit your application: Once you have completed your application, you can submit it online.
Each school has its own deadlines for submitting applications. Be sure to check the deadlines for the schools you are applying to.
Tips for international students
- Start early: The Common App process can be time-consuming, so it is important to start early.
- Get help: If you need help with the Common App process, there are many resources available to you. You can get help from your school counselor, a tutor, or an online service.
- Be yourself: The most important thing is to be yourself and to let your personality shine through in your application. And of course, our US-based counselors are always there to support you! 💘